Shawn Aaron, MD, FRCPC
University of Ottawa, Ottawa, ON
The ICRH and CTS established the Distinguished Lecture in Respiratory Sciences Award in 2006 to honour scholars in the respiratory field. Nominations are solicited from the respiratory research community and assessed against the following criteria:
- impact of the nominee’s research on respiratory sciences in Canada and the extent to which the nominee has contributed significantly to the advancement of respiratory sciences in Canada over the last ten years;
- relevance/application/impact of nominee’s research to a clinical setting; and
- demonstrated strength and reputation of the nominee in the field of respiratory sciences in Canada.
It is with great pleasure that CIHR-ICRH and CTS announce that the 2022 Distinguished Lecture in Respiratory Sciences has been awarded to Dr. Shawn Aaron from the University of Ottawa.
This lecture will review the epidemiology and impact of undiagnosed asthma and COPD within our communities. We will discuss potential solutions to impact on this problem via case-finding of symptomatic patients and sending them for spirometry to establish diagnoses.
At the end of this presentation, attendees will be able to:
- Understand the epidemiology and impact of undiagnosed asthma and COPD within our communities;
- Understand how to identify these subjects and provide early diagnoses; and
- Review whether early case-finding of symptomatic subjects may provide patient benefits.
CanMEDS Roles Addressed:
Health Advocate, Leader, Medical Expert, Professional