Our History 2018-03-15T05:28:22+00:00

Our History

Our history in brief

The Canadian Thoracic Society was established when the Canadian Tuberculosis Association, now The Lung Association, recognized the need for a medical association as evidenced by the increase in attendance of both medical and non-medical members at the annual meetings. In 1946, a program committee arranged for a medical section where items of purely medical interest were discussed. Formalizing this section was discussed at subsequent meetings and as a consequence a study of medical personnel was undertaken in 1953. In 1954, a plan was developed along with a suggested constitution and submitted to a group of interested physicians. In 1955, a constitution and by-laws were drafted, but it was not until 1958 that the final constitution was approved and the first official meeting of the Canadian Thoracic Society took place.

Much of the thought that lay behind the organization of the Canadian Thoracic Society evolved because of the great need to solve the problems of medical education and research in the field of tuberculosis and other respiratory diseases. Increasing difficulty was encountered in obtaining experienced staff because of the decline in the incidence of tuberculosis, and there was an obvious need for a broader viewpoint on the treatment and prevention of respiratory diseases in general.

Up until its incorporation as a distinct legal entity in 2015, the CTS served as the medical section of The Lung Association and remains a strong collaborating partner. The Canadian Thoracic Society is registered as a non-profit organization with the Canada Revenue Agency and Industry Canada (Business No. 80986 6965).

Personalized History of the CTS

Click here to view A Book of Recollections – A Personalized History of the CTS (PDF)

Compiled on the occasion of the CTS’ 50th anniversary, this document presents the recollections of past presidents and leaders.

Historical Notes

Click here to access Canadian Thoracic Society – Historical Notes (PDF), an article written by Dr. Peter MacLeod, originally published in a 1998 edition of the CTS’ Airwaves newsletter.